Thursday, October 05, 2006

Report From The Tracy Forum

Matt just received this report from a friend who attended the Pombo/McNerney forum sponsored this evening by the Tracy Press.
There was a large audience - standing room only. I would estimate that McNerney supporters outnumbered Pombo supporters by about two to one. Jerry McNerney spoke very strongly and very passionately, while Pombo seemed pretty defensive the whole evening.

What intrigued me the most were the people I was sitting near. The man next to me told me that he googled “Pombo + corruption” and got 168,000 results. He said he did the math on this. Pombo has been in office for 14 years. He said if you calculated how many hours there are in 14 years, you’d come out pretty darn close to 168,000 hours, or one “corruption” hit for each hour Pombo’s been in office. He said, “Isn’t it great to know that Pombo’s on the job, being corrupt, 24-7?”

My favorite was the woman who was sitting in front of me. My friend asked her if she was a McNerney supporter, and she said “Oh, yes.” We asked her if she’d like a McNerney button to wear and she said “Oh, no, I couldn’t.” Then a few minutes later she turned around and explained why she felt like she couldn’t wear a McNerney button. She said, “I’ve known the whole Pombo family forever. I know their kids. When we meet, we all hug each other. But I just can’t vote for him. I can’t do it. I’m voting for Jerry McNerney.”
So who else went to the forum? Anybody got any stories to share?

10 Comments:

Blogger Matt Ortega said...

In regards to VECO, the Alaskan-based oil firm, Pombo was specifically asked if he would return the $18,000 he received in donations, as part of two- or three-part question.

Pombo dodged the question by not addressing it. (Despite the best efforts of a few crowd members that yelled out, to the effect of, "You didn't answer the question!")

Interpret that as you will.

12:57 AM, October 06, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pombo looked angry and tired. The only supporters he had were family and friends. They were not happy either. I know plenty of folks who used to vote Pombo but are done now. He avoided ansering questions about his ethics again. He lied and lied and lied.

Pretty sad when the hometown dont welcome you like they used to. Nobody likes corruption though.

12:59 AM, October 06, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

MSM reviews are trickling in and look good for Jerry. If you guys were there you should write up more about it. Thanks

1:41 AM, October 06, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Progressive 11th has quite a nice write up on the event, including links to local MSM reports.

6:11 AM, October 06, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The DCCC is coming to town. Hank Shaw of the Stockton Record is reporting that the DCCC will be putting $100K into the district with a possible campaigning stop of the Big Dog or well...Al Gore.

More info here: http://www.calitics.com/showDiary.do?diaryId=1143

9:46 AM, October 06, 2006  
Blogger babaloo said...

Thanks Brian. We're on it.

10:08 AM, October 06, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yea: Pombo lost the forum. Hank Shaw says it was close and the polls say. I say take your polls and go home hank. Mc Nerney was the hero, he was strong, positive, informed and most of all was not takeing any of Pombo's Crap. The question were boreing Mickey Mcguire needs to learn how to ask questions. I was asked my opinion of the forum my comment about Pombo was "Incumbent Denial ".

Mc Nerney won.
"Mission accomplished." Now I can go home and play my drums.


Tom Benigno

11:11 AM, October 06, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I saw online newspaper accounts of the Forum from CC Times, Tracy Press, and Record Online. Mostly unbiased. So I thought I would see what the State Capital's newspaper would say. I ran 'McNerney' in the Q search box, and saw that Jerry was getting beaten up for wearing a Spring hat in the fall earlier in the week:

OK, politics aside - what Bush and Pombo had for breakfast interests me not. However, McNerney's sporting of a straw fedora on a crisp autumn day serves as yet another reminder that vigilance by the fashion police is still necessary.

Women are FINALLY putting away the white shoes. Now this!

Jerry: If you're going to wear a fedora in October, make it felt or something more substantial. Your hat belonged at a Fourth of July barbecue. What are voters to think of anyone who gets their seasons confused?


Honest. To. God. The President of the US comes to California to defend and campaign for two of the most corrupt Congressmen in the state (and the nation), and one of those faces his challenger live, and THIS is the best they got?? Makes me wonder why this reporter wasn't interested in what Bush had for breakfast!

I guess I'm sticking to CC Times or even Tracy Press for an off campus view of the race.

5:14 PM, October 06, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

but hey, fashion is fashion. the hat was a mistake.

;)

8:02 AM, October 07, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You could be right... at least name recognition is such that they actually ran with the story. Maybe it wasn't a 'mistake' after all... :^}

12:41 PM, October 07, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home