Help Young Democrats Take Back Congress
On Sunday, Lisa Vorderbrueggen of the Contra Costa Times wrote a piece about some of the various groups working to fight Richard Pombo. One the most exciting of these groups is the nascent youth movement to fight Pombo organized by the Action Caucus of the California Young Democrats. The Action Caucus is so exciting because it has succeeded in generating tremendous enthusiasm and energy while maintaining the strategic direction to funnel that energy into something with tremendous political potential. In essence they have succeeded in laying the groundwork for something that can be both socially rewarding and tremendously politically effective. Consequently, I expect an explosion of progressive youth activism in the coming months once the Action Caucus has completed the infrastructure that they are seeking to build.
I am excited to report that there is a fantastic opportunity for you to help the Action Caucus on April 25. I encourage all of you progressives to help them, no matter what side of the primary fight you are sympathetic to. The Action Caucus will not take sides in the primary, and all of their action until then in CA-11 will be directed at building the Democratic Party infrastructure in the district. Please take the time to read the following notice and please forward it to other people who might be interested.
LEFT ON 580: Help Young Democrats Take Back Congress!
Host: The Action Caucus of the California Young Democrats and State Senator John Burton
Location: Café du Nord
2170 Market St. at 15th St, San Francisco, CA
When: Tuesday, April 25, 6:00pm to 8:00pm
Join the Action Caucus and State Senator John Burton on April 25th at Café du Nord.
The Action Caucus of the California Young Democrats is getting ready to unseat right-wing Republican Congressman Richard Pombo. Here's how we're going to do it:
· Build an online ride board to make it easy for activists from all over Northern California to get to CD11.
· Organize Young Democrats chapters from the Bay Area and Sacramento to converge on CD11 and work together with local activists in a coordinated campaign.
· Register thousands of Democrats in CD11. An army of dedicated volunteers can tip the balance of registered voters to the left, and set the stage for the biggest Congressional upset in 2006.
Richard "Dick" Pombo is one of the most corrupt politicians in the country, and a fanatical opponent of environmental protections. His district is in the Bay Area's back yard, and he has never been so vulnerable.
· Pombo is California's largest recipient of funds from recently-convicted lobbyist Jack Abramoff, and has accepted over $5,000 from Tom Delay's PAC. The treasurer for recently- sentenced former Congressman Randy "Duke" Cunningham has also been treasurer of Pombo's PAC.
· Pombo has fought to dismantle the Endangered Species Act, drill in ANWR and off the California coast, and sell 15 national parks to private companies. As Chair of the House Resources Committee in a Republican Congress, Pombo has more power over environmental policy than any other U.S. Representative.
The suggested minimum donation is $100, but we will accept whatever you feel you can give. Please make checks payable to California Young Democrats.
House Democratic Leader Nancy Pelosi and Mayor Gavin Newsom
For more information see http://www.actioncaucus.org/
Consistent with federal law, Congresswoman Pelosi and Mayor Newsom are not soliciting donations to the California Young Democrats or Action Caucus in excess of $2,000 from individual donors, nor are they soliciting funds from corporations, labor organizations or foreign nationals.
To RSVP, go here. If this does not work, or if you have any questions about the event, you can send an e-mail to Nicole Rivera at email@example.com.