Sunday, January 22, 2006

Just a Note

My last post mentioned the two events I was going to attend this weekend that I expected Jerry McNerney to attend. Little did I know that McNerney would be at a third event and that a number of his supporters would be at a fourth. I think that it’s likely that Pete McCloskey’s announcement tomorrow is going to shift a lot of media attention to the Republican primary. But looking back on the events of this weekend I truly believe that the last couple of days mark a significant turning point for Jerry McNerney’s campaign. And I don’t want that to be obscured by McCloskey’s announcement. There is more focus, more direction, and more energy in McNerney’s campaign than I have seen before. But more telling is a shift I have seen in the Democratic party grassroots itself. Put simply, McNerney is consolidating his support among the grassroots.

I really want to discuss this in more depth, but I’m absolutely exhausted (so much for youthful vigor) and am going to bed. Tomorrow morning I’ll be attending Pete McCloskey’s announcement of his candidacy, and I’ll probably report back on that first, so the report on the McNerney events will have to wait. But I will return to them soon because I think they are important enough to merit more attention.

In the meantime, the Contra Costa Times had a number of articles on Richard Pombo in their Sunday edition. There is a lot of good stuff, although I did find more than a little to take issue with. But in any event, it’s all worth a read. The first article I listed is an opinion column by Lisa Vorderbrueggen. I wish she had said some this at the Lamorinda Club meeting, but better late than never. The rest of the articles, as far as I can tell, were printed in the news section. Read them and let us know what you think in the comments section.

There is also a Reader Forum in which the reporters will respond to reader inquiries. They will post replied on Monday and Tuesday. You can send them your questions and read the responses here.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for your even handed coverage of the campaign. I am a McNerney supporter, and though you might like to know that Arnold Schwarzenegger has effectively endorsed all the major points of Jerry's energy plan in the internationally respected New Scientist magazine "Comment & Analysis" column in the Jan 21-27 issue. (partial text on-line at www.newscientist.com)

The Governor's comments on the facts of global warming and is effects on Californa and the world are in direct contradiction of the Pombozos and the White House. To quote, " That's why I say the debate is over. We know the science and we see the threat.....Global warming, and the pollution and burning of fossil fuels that cause it, threatens every person in the world"

Think the Governator might endorse Jerry on this issue?

9:18 AM, January 27, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey : What happen to the blogs that were made from about Benigno , Pombo and Mc Closkeys percentages.You guys can't handle the truth this is still any bodys race. Immigration will help elect Benigno.

5:50 PM, May 14, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home